Words by Ian Leslight
Sitting in my Grandfathers brand new Ford Falcon as a kid I remember clearly his excitement at showing me its latest feature.
“You just push this button in here and wait a few seconds” he said with a big grin on his face.
I watched intently as, 'pop' the button popped back out. “Wow” I said, “Wait, watch this” Granddad said as he reached down and pulled out the button. My eyes widened when I saw the bright orange glow and watched in amazement as he walked it out of the car and used it to start our campfire burning without a match.
“How good is that” he said proudly.
I was very impressed and I enjoyed pushing that button with my siblings, over and over again for the rest of the camping trip!
Lets move forward now to 2015, where I have been looking at the list of Ford’s Latest Technologies.
- EcoBoost - Giving small engines big horsepower.
- Active City Stop - Preventing you from rear ending the car in front if your not paying attention.
- Adaptive Cruise Control - sensing the distance of vehicles in front to maintain a safe distance, I love this one.
- Active Park Assist - It not only finds the perfect size park for you it steers you in as well.
- SYNC™ - Control your phone and music hands free, seamless voice activated user benefits.
- Hands-free Tailgate - No more fumbling for keys when your hands are full.
- Emergency Assistance - If you are involved in an accident, stay calm, your car has used your mobile to call the emergency services for you and passed on your location. Amazing!
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC)- Helping you to maintain grip and control in sticky situations.
- Rain-sensing Wipers - I don’t know how they do this but it is very convenient.
- Rear Parking Sensors & Camera - Helping you to reverse and park safely.
- 6-speed PowerShift - The sporty feel of a manual with the ease of an automatic.
- Boron Steel - Aerospace steel reduces wait and increases strength where it matters.
- Torque Vectoring Control - Keeping you safe and steady while cornering.
- Active Grille Shutter - Electronically controlled grille, adjusting air flow to manage fuel consumption and engine temperature.
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®) - A non intrusive warning when a vehicle comes into your blind spots, very useful for city driving.
- Hill Launch Assist - Hill starts are a breeze with this technology
- Auto Start-Stop - Saving you fuel wherever possible
- Keyless entry & Push-button Start - Bulky keys are a thing of the past.
These latest technologies are not available in every Ford model, it’s more a case of, if its relevant to the common use of that vehicle it has it.
Ford’s might not have an inbuilt lighter anymore but I am sure my late Grandfather would yet again be impressed with Ford’s Latest Technologies.
I certainly would enjoy showing him how the lighter socket has evolved and now provides power top-ups on all our igadgets.
Keep up the good work Ford!
Check out more detailed info regarding Ford’s Latest Technologies here!